Thursday, July 14, 2011

My First Macarons :)

I'm smiling while I'm updating this blog. Beginner's luck :)

I have been trying to make these little monsters for months now, and failing miserably every time. I didn't give up though. I look up different sites and blogs that teach how to do it properly. I tried searching for macarons classes but where I'm at, there is none nearby :(

I bought a digital scale yesterday, and determine to try again. I used this one egg white macarons recipe courtesy to the Macarons Genius, Kak Yani of Kitchen Guardian. Her blog is addictive!! Thank you so much Kak Yani :)

One egg white macarons

Difficulty level: Moderate *depending on your level of patience :P
Preparations time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
30g egg whites *I aged them overnight in the fridge
20g caster sugar
36g ground almond
54g icing sugar *I ground the almond and the icing together, and sifted them twice. 
1/2 tsp powdered pink food coloring

Steps: 
1. In a very clean bowl *I used my new IKEA stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy


2. Slowly add in the caster sugar *I add my coloring with the sugar, while whisking the egg white until stiff peaks form. *Obviously, I couldn't take any picture during this step since both of my hands are occupied
caster sugar + pink food coloring
Soft peak

Stiff peak
3. Fold in the almond-icing mixture in three parts, incorporate it well with the egg white. After that, press the batter to the wall of the bowl, to free trapped air until the batter is ribbon-like and glossy. 
almond-icing mixture



4. Pour the batter in a piping bag, and pipe small circle onto the baking tray that has been lined with baking sheet. Try to make the circles the same. I failed at this. hihihihi

5, Tap the baking tray gently on the counter to remove trapped air and leave it to dry. Mine took around 30 minutes
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 150C. The macarons shell should have skirts/feet around 5 minutes of baking. I've waited in front of the oven and jumped around my kitchen when the skirts/feet appear. :D
skirts/feet :)
7. Let it cool on the rack, and peel slowly from the sheet.
8. To assemble the macarons, sandwich two shells with the lemon curd fillings i made a few days ealier.
9. Makan!!

Taste: Crunchy outer and chewy inner, and very sweet. Have to try to make less sweet fillings next time. :)

p/s: My shells are senget-benget and have cracks on some. I think the oven might be a bit too hot. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment