Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Red Velvet Cake

I've tried a few different recipes of red velvet cake from the internet. Some turn out to be moist, some are dense and one was very uneatable. :(
However, I never did give up. Keep on searching for recipes, until I came across this recipe from Kak Edi's blog. I've ordered my engagement cupcakes from her and it was delish :). She does beautiful cupcakes and I really do recommend her. Anyway, I've tried this recipe twice, and I think I have found it. I love the texture of this cake. It's moist, and it's not too sweet. However, I modified the recipe for the cream cheese frosting, since I don't have whipping cream in stock. Here it goes.

Difficulty level: Moderate
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes

Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp red coloring
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup buttermilk (I added 1/2 tsp lemon juice to 1/2 cup full cream milk)
1/2 vinegar
1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate

Steps:
1. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Put aside.
2. Mix cocoa powder and red coloring to form a paste.
3. In a clean bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add egg, vanilla essence and cocoa mixture. Mix well

4. Add in flour and buttermilk alternately, ending with the flour mixture. Mix well between each addition.




5. Now. this is the last part, and it is very important that it is done quickly. I don't even have time to take a photo, sorry. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and soda bicarbonate and fold into the cake batter quickly.

6.Pour the batter into a baking tin (I used a 7" tin) and bake for 35 minutes at 170C.




Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
125 gm cream cheese, softened
50 gm butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp lemon juice (put in more if you like a more 'tart' frosting)


Steps:
1. Beat the cream cheese until smooth and light.

2. Add in the softened butter. Beat well.

3. Add in icing sugar, vanilla essence and lemon juice. Mix everything well.



4. Chilled the frosting while the cake is cooling down.


Assembling the cake:


1. Cut the cake into 2 or 3 parts. Do it as evenly as possible.


2. Spread the frosting onto the first layer, even it out with a spatula

3. Put the second layer of cake, and repeat the process.
4. Lastly, put the top layer, and frost the whole cake. Decorate the cake with the crumbles that falls of when you cut the cake. :)
5. Voila!!

No comments:

Post a Comment